Mathematics

The aim of this subject is to provide learners with mathematical skills which will extend their thinking by encouraging them to problem solve, to think critically, to persevere and to delve into abstract logic.

Who should choose this subject?

Ideal candidates are those who have a passion for numbers. Maths requires determination, commitment and self-discipline. The more motivated a boy is, the greater his success, as a steely work ethic is crucial.

For a boy to choose core Maths, he must have passed Maths in Grade 9, otherwise he will not cope with the rigors of Maths in the FET phase.

Outline of the curriculum

Internal assessment (school-based assessment – SBA) comprises 25% of the year mark, and the final exam contributes the remaining 75%. The SBA includes tests, assignments and the June Exam.

Form 4

  • Algebra, equations, inequalities
  • Patterns & sequences
  • Finance & growth
  • Functions & graphs
  • Probability
  • Statistics
  • Analytical geometry
  • Trigonometry
  • Euclidean geometry & measurement

Form 5

  • Algebra, equations, inequalities
  • Patterns & sequences
  • Finance, growth & decay
  • Functions & Graphs
  • Probability
  • Statistics
  • Analytical geometry
  • Trigonometry
  • Euclidean geometry & measurement

Form 6

  • Algebra, equations, inequalities
  • Patterns & sequences
  • Finance, growth & decay
  • Functions & graphs
  • Differential calculus
  • Probability
  • Statistics –bivariate data
  • Analytical geometry
  • Trigonometry
  • Euclidean geometry & measurement

How are the diverse abilities of boys facilitated?

Classes are streamed so the pace of the work should suit the boys in the class. The academically able classes move faster and go into more depth and are encouraged to do Advanced Programme Maths (AP Maths) and the Olympiad. Advanced Programme Maths is done after school hours and boys are registered to write the IEB exam at the end of Grade 12. It is a very demanding course which stretches even the best mathematicians, invaluable for boys who are due to do any sort of maths at tertiary level.
The rest of the boys cover the same concepts but not in the same detail, due to time constraints as the classes move more slowly so that reinforcement of concepts is facilitated.

Extra lessons are offered for those in Form 2 who work hard yet find the subject demanding. If a boy fails Maths consistently, he should change to Maths Literacy (especially if he is doing Physical Science, as a failure in Maths and Physical Science will result in a failure to pass Matric). Due to the subject change deadlines, the Maths Department arranges exams at the end of Grade 11 to allow weaker boys to write both exams before deciding what should go on the report, this being the binding subject for the NSC exams.

Core Maths opens many doors at a tertiary level, however if a boy really tries hard at Maths and continues to fail, he should examine his options, as taking Maths when one does not have the necessary ability can make for a very stressful high school career and adversely affect his other subjects.

Subject Head
Mrs Fiona Deyzel

deyzelf@mcollege.co.za
I am often asked by boys: ‘Where/When are we ever going to use this again after school?’ This is how I answer: Taking Maths develops a crucial set of life skills. It teaches us to choose the best approach to a situation, think critically, make informed decisions, persevere, plan ahead, problem solve, represent and explain, learn from mistakes and to be precise.