Clark House is the oldest of our boarding houses and is home to Grade 9s, 10s, 11s and house prefects. This distinguished, historical building provides our boys with a comfortable and congenial environment in which to journey through the years at school.
Completed in 1888 and occupied by then Headmaster Mr RD Clark and his family, this building has survived not only as a graceful example of local architecture, but has adapted itself to the changing needs of the school for well over a century. Initially home to teachers, boys and classrooms, Clark House is now exclusively a boarding house for boarders in Forms 3-5 and the House prefects.
In the words of Simon Haw in For Hearth and Home: “The school had outgrown the building, flooding out into new buildings which, in their turn, had become old… And yet this building had survived… weaving itself inextricably into the fabric of Maritzburg College, engraved in the affections and memories of over ten thousand people. At its heart, there will always remain the precious touchstone of a heritage dating back to the earliest years of life in the colony of Natal and the beginnings of education.“
Meet the Clark House Team
Swelihle Mkhwanazi (OC)
Clark House Prefects 2020
Head of House